♥google

support the site

the simplicated [humorous] life Headline Animator

the simplicated [humorous] life

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Can One Truly Find True Love Through The Net?


Do you believe in cyber love?

Well, I do. I was once ‘there’. The cyber-courting days back when MIRC and ICQ ruled.

Relationship that started from an innocent ‘hello’
and developed into late night chats and endless phone calls. The little
kisses that were given out so easily through the chat room which then
developed into real hard copy “Miss You” cards.

When cyber friendship became real life relationship and the sweet
memories of the virtual world collided with reality, how would you know which one is real? The caring, sensitive and humorous guy you knew online, or the personality of a womaniser of whom he’s
infamous for among his friends?

He was a charming gentleman who portrayed himself as the perfect man. One who would open the car door for me and brought me roses when he was late.
Who would switch sides with me while crossing the road so that I
won’t be facing the on-coming traffic. The romantic guy who
serenaded sweet melodies into my ears as we danced the night away under
the stars. But what’s a girl to do when she finds out that
she’s just another trophy girl in his conquest to prove
himself to his friends, and the one he truly loved was that one girl he
could never get? Oh yes, he turned out to be quite a seasoned
‘player’. In fact, by now, he’s probably
the guru of all gurus. One of his friends once told me he kept pictures
of all the girls he dated in what he called his little black book of
“The X-es Club”.

A person can be so misguided when in love. So blinded by the memories
of chat history that we tend to believe the person we knew through the
virtual world because those seemed so real, while reality seemed
surreal. That through such long distance relationship, a person can
juggle between two and even three relationships and never get caught.
When one could introduce you to his parents in the evening, sends you
off and goes home at night with another girlfriend, wakes up the
following morning and cooks her breakfast, then rushes off in the
afternoon to pick another girl from a distant college and repeat the
same cycle with much creativity and style. All the while, maintaining
close contact with you through sms-es and yes, internet chats.

So, yesterday when I chanced upon a dating site called
chineselovelinks.com, my instant reaction was a
“hah!” with a smirk and to click
“x” but curiosity got the better of me. Something
caught my attention - the testimonials of happily married couples who
started through the ‘cyber world’ dating.I
wasn’t convinced, quite an irony really…since
I’m a wedding planner, and yes, I’m also a romantic
at heart. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not bitter
because of my past experience and neither am I a cynic when it comes to
Internet dating, or whatever you call it these days. Like I said, I do
believe in cyber love. I just don’t believe in the
authenticity of it all.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Can a love that is built over the Internet surpass all levels of
cultural differences? Can you still connect with each other when
there’s the language barrier in between? Can a Texan white
guy who can’t speak Mandarin find true love in a mainland
Chinese girl who speaks minimal English? What happens when you realise
that you connect better when you’re both online? And after
months of long distance friendship, will there be the awkwardness of
trying to find a topic of interest when you finally meet in person,
face-to-face?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
So, to satisfy my curiosity and to give cyber love that one chance to
blossom again, I signed myself up. The service is free but your
membership status would be much like a mere spectator. With a standard
membership status, you won’t be able to send e-mails to
another Standard member. You’ll only be able to
“express your interest”. If you would like to have
more ‘opportunities’ of finding your true love, you
will need to upgrade to Gold or Platinum membership – and
this is when you have to pay a monthly subscription fee. The mechanics
are simple. If you are interested in someone, you can choose to
“Show Interest” and wait for a reciprocal from the
other party or “Send Mail” and confess your desire
to take it to the next level – NO, it’s not cyber
sex – by next level definition, means giving your MSN or
personal e-mail! J So, after over an hour of browsing through the
picture gallery, I showed interest to about a million men and sent over
a zillion e-mails. Ok, so, I’m exaggerating. My point
is…choices are abundant! Men
here……are……perfect. As the
saying goes, if things are too good to be true, then they usually are
too good to be true. Check out some snippets of these interesting
profiles:

· Tall, dark and handsome (Classic!)
· I would like to find a wife as soon as possible.
Live can be lonely.
· I’m your angel.
· Honest! (Just a one-word description)
· A gentle, caring guy looking for a real woman.
You can be my woman on top, I’ll give you all the authority.
I like a woman in control while I take the back seat and you can get me
to do anything you want.
· I’m a homely guy who enjoys cooking for my girl.
· I’m a well-balanced financial analyst who enjoys
the great outdoor, cooking and watching movies. I recently moved to
Shanghai, living in a studio penthouse
……………….…………..…………..looking
for a petite Chinese girl whom I could spend quality time with and also
practice my Mandarin language.
And some people, who took all the fuss and time to list themselves here
along with all the necessary personal details, summarised their profile
into:
· I don’t give you a f***.
· Don’t bug me if you want a relationship.
Ah…the myriads of interesting personalities in this big big
virtual world

– a place where you are ‘picked’ based on
the photo that you put up, and judged based on what you would like to
be perceived as. I think it is much too complicated for an ordinary
Chinese girl looking for a man who can simply love her for who she is
~FULL STOP~

The chineselovelinks.com is a Chinese dating site that assists singles to find a Chinese partner for friendship, dating, romance or marriage with people from around the world. It is managed by cupid service and has many other sites offering similar services but to cater to different ethnic mix such as Mexican link, Korean cupid (my favourite), Japan Cupid, Muslima.com, Singaporean Link and more.

This post was written by
Natasha Khoo

No comments:

s.u.p.p.o.r.t

FIGHTING racism and discrimination

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

h.e.l.p.

Search Powered by everyclick.com

what a complicated thingly >.<

AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Add to netvibes Digg! StumbleUpon Add to Technorati Favorites iPing-it!

To Listen, Odiogo Feed

♥google